Sunday, October 19, 2014

Part 2: New York, New York - Day 4

So my 4th day in NYC was going to be one of walking I decided. I love walking and I think that's one of the best ways to see a place.  So I donned the comfy shoes and decided to walk to Central Park. I thought I would walk along Fifth Ave, just because it was Fifth Ave.  First stop was the New York Public Library. Such a grand building complete with lions guarding the entrance.


 

It was amazing inside and out...

L-R: Looking down the hall towards the Map Room, the Map Room,
The 4th floor, The 4th floor ceiling, the Reading Room,
Just inside the main entrance on the ground floor.

And then it was back to Fifth Ave...


Looking towards Central Park

I just took my time and wandered down here, looking at all the big name shops like Gucci, Prada, Saks, Van Cleef etc.





And then I was at Central Park. It was way bigger than what I had expected, spanning from 59th Street to 110th Street. Luckily I had downloaded the Central Park app before I had left the hotel, but even then, it was still easy to lose your bearings in the park.  I just walked and walked and took in the sights


One of the many food carts on the street and in the Park


There's even a zoo in the park




One of the many arches


Entertainers throughout the park


Bethesda Fountain


John Lennon's memorial at Strawberry Fields


Looking back towards Downtown from The Lake


The Oak Bridge


Loads of these little cuties in the park


Moi!


Bow Bridge


Looking towards Fifth Ave by Conservatory Water


Belverdere Castle



The Great Lawn


Horse and carriages for hire


The Mall


Some of the 22 arches in the park

It was getting dark by now and I had walked for about 8 hours so decided to head home via Broadway.


Looking down Broadway towards Times Square

I was feeling a bit peckish so headed to The Halal Guys for tea on 53rd Street.  I had seen them on Friday night and the queue was seriously long so I thought it must be good food! They have a street cart that starts up around 7pm until the wee hours of the morning and serve chicken, gyros or felafels on rice with this divine mayonnaise and hot sauce.  So I grabbed a meal for $6 and joined all the others perched on various seats around the cart.




I could only eat about half of this, but soooo yummy.

It was about 8.30pm by now so I headed back to the hotel and crashed out until the next day. Part 3 tomorrow....



2 comments:

  1. It must have been so neat to see in real life, places we only see in the movies. Central Park looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Central Park looks amazing! What a lot of walking you did!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for taking the time to pop by and leave a comment. I always reply to my comments by email so if you don't hear from me, it means you are a no-reply blogger. Have a great day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...